Very few people know we were pregnant and had a miscarriage - only our immediate family and very close friends. One of the couples that we're close to and knows what happened to us are expecting their first baby in December. They sent me flowers when they found out we lost the baby, and checked in on me once the day after I had my DE&C, but since then, we haven't heard from them at all. That's ok - a lot of people just don't know what to say and I get that.
Yesterday, however, I was the first one home from work so I was the one to grab the mail. I have been receiving a lot of cards and things from friends and family lately, just letting me know that they're thinking about me, so I opened a blue envelope addressed to me thinking that's what it was.
Nope. What was it? The invitation to the aforementioned friends' baby shower. It was like a slap in the face and it made me burst into tears. Don't get me wrong...I'm so happy for them. And I'm sure this wasn't sent maliciously. But, in my opinion, it was incredibly thoughtless and insensitive. Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks since I had my DE&C - I really was not fucking ready to get something like that in the mail. Not to mention that the shower isn't until October 16, so it's not like I needed to get it so damn soon.
I mean, all it would have taken was a phone call to my DH to let him know they were sending it to give me a heads-up and see if perhaps they should just hold it until we see them next.
I certainly don't expect people to tip-toe around me, but honestly. That was just too goddamn much.

No comments:
Post a Comment