12.10.2010

New England - CT and MA

IB and I returned from our trip to New England on Saturday - we had such a good time!  One of the best things was that our driving times were actually much shorter than we thought...less time in the car is always a win for me!  :)  We did so much while we were away though, this is going to become a 2-part post.  We had such an amazing time with Aunt S and Uncle S - we all wish they would move their asses back to the 'Burgh so we could see them much more often!!!

We left the Saturday after Thanksgiving and drove what was supposed to be 7 1/2 hours but turned out only to be a little over 6 hours to Stamford, CT.  When we left around 7:00 that morning, IB pulled out our Garmin GPS - named Victoria Jane (she's British), but we call her Vicky - and typed in the address to our hotel.  Vicky told us we would get there at 8:15.  At night.  IB swore at her and tossed her in the consol, declaring that he needed an upgrade and we used the GPS on his phone to get us there at the much more reasonable time of 1:30 or so.  (Reember this - there is a point!)

The drive was easy, and we arrived at our hotel, which we booked through Hotwire.com, without a problem.  Took some time to just relax that afternoon, and left the room around 5:00 to head out for an early dinner at the Black Duck Cafe.  This is a place that was featured on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and it was really good!  It's an old barge that they turned into a restaurant and it had a fun atmosphere.  Since we know nothing about Stamford, I randomly decided to see if there was a triple D restaurant nearby and this was only about 10 miles away in Westport.



We left the hotel around 7:00 the next morning to drive the rest of the way to the Cape, which took about 4 hours...not too shabby!  We did try to use Vicky that morning too, but it told us it would take us about 7 hours to get there.  IB was pissed and we used his phone again.  Anyway, after checking in at our hotel (which was totally adorable and had the best continental breakfast ever!), we met up with Aunt S and Uncle S and they took us for a late breakfast to the Keltic Kitchen - yummy!  I had the corned beef hash omelet and it was awesome.  IB enjoyed his steak and eggs too!  Then we piled back into the car and spent the day driving the length of the Cape to check out all the little towns, stopping at Truro Vineyards for a wine-tasting (and buying, of course!) before heading to one of the S's favorite restaurants on the Cape, Chapin's.  The had some of the best fried seafood I've ever had, but the highlight of the meal were the fresh (as in, caught that morning), raw oysters served by the owner of the Dennis Oyster Farm...oh.my.fucking.god.  These were the best oysters I've ever had - no comparison.  They were huge and sweet and salty and just absolutely to die for.  I could have eaten 2 dozen of them myself.  Seriously.  I'm drooling.



Anyway...  The following day, the S's had to leave after lunch to go back to New hampshire as Aunt S had to work on Tuesday, so we went and toured the Cape Cod Potato Chip Factory (and got some fresh chips right off the production line!), walked on the beach because it was a beautiful, sunny, 50-degree day (I even went barefoot!), and then had lunch at a new place called the Sea Street Cafe.  Again, the food was SUPER delicious.  Everything there was made in-house, including the bread.  Sadly, the S's had to leave after lunch, but IB and I spent the rest of the day touring Cape Cod Beer, and visiting the Sandwich Glass Museum.  Here we got to see a glassblowing demonstration, which was really cool, and I got to press a piece of glass and keep it as a souvenir!  That night we went to Alberto's Ristorante on Main Street in Hyannis and had an amazing meal.  We started with an appetizer of bison meatballs with porcini mushrooms, then IB had tortellini alfredo with chicken and I had the fruta de mare - homemade linguini tossed in a white wine and garlic sauce that's finished with just a touch of marinara for color, and then topped with lobster, scallops, shrimp, calamari, mussels, and clams.  I was in heaven!  They had a special going on that night so we each got a complimentary dessert with our meals - IB had the spumoni and I had heath bar pie.  Goddamn it was good. 





Stay tuned for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment